NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — Light winds out of the north will continue to usher in drier air today, making it feel more comfortable outdoors.
Mostly clear skies can be expected through the day Thursday. By Friday, moisture starts to push back in from the Gulf of Mexico as winds shift to the south. Humidity will increase heading into the weekend along with rain chances.
Spotty showers and a few thunderstorms will be possible Friday, especially in the afternoon and early evening, with rain chances are at around 40 percent. Storm coverage increases Saturday and Sunday as rain chances rise to about 60 percent.
Extreme drought, lower humidity, and breezy conditions will continue to elevate the threat for wildfires, especially for area north and west of Lake Pontchartrain. A statewide burn ban is in effect for Louisiana until further notice.
In the tropics, Idalia is moving east away from the Carolinas today as a tropical storm. The system is forecast to impact Bermuda in the coming days before turning north and moving out to sea.
The National Hurricane Center is also watching several other areas of interest, including Hurricane Franklin, Tropical Storm Jose, the remnants of Tropical Depression Gert, and a tropical wave near Africa. All of these systems are forecast to remain over open water and pose no threat to the United States.
- Never-before-seen photos, videos released in Tupac Shakur murder case
- Canadian wildfire smoke blowing all the way south to Florida
- Nearly 273K Ram trucks recalled over rear view camera image issue
- This is the wealthiest person in your state, new Forbes report shows
- Cantrell: NOPD actions aided in crime reduction