NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — The New Orleans Police Department is investigating an interstate traffic accident that left one person dead on Monday.
Detectives say shortly before 8:30 a.m., officers were called to I-10 West at Crowder Boulevard in the New Orleans East area. Police say multiple cars were involved in a collision. One person was pronounced dead at the scene.
An investigation revealed the driver of a Cadillac Escalade was exiting the highway on I-10W at the Crowder Boulevard off-ramp when the SUV rear-ended a Honda Civic. The collision led to a multi-vehicle pileup.
Police say the drivers of a Kia Forte and a Chevy Silverado collided on the roadway, while a Toyota Tacoma and Mercedes Benz were found stopped at the top of the guardrail. See photos of the scene below.
PHOTOS: Deadly crash on I-10E at Crowder Boulevard
The driver of the Honda Civic was pronounced dead at the scene. There is no word yet on their identity.
Multiple people were taken to an area hospital following the crash. Here are their conditions, confirmed by the NOPD on Monday afternoon:
- Cadillac Escalade driver (48-year-old woman) — Stable
- Kia Forte driver (38-year-old woman) — Stable
- Toyota Tacoma driver (58-year-old woman) — Stable
- Mercedes Benz driver (34-year-old woman) — Stable
- Mercedes Benz passenger (three-year-old girl) — Stable
The driver of the Chevy Silverado, identified as a 57-year-old man, was unharmed in the crash.
We’re told the I-10 West on-ramp at Read Boulevard has been reopened after being temporarily shut down.
The crash remains under investigation by the NOPD. Anyone with any additional information is urged to contact the NOPD at 504-821-2222.
- Haley draws Trump’s fury after strong debate showing
- Warm, dry weather continues into next week
- No. 20 Mississippi rallies past No. 13 LSU in fourth quarter for 55-49 victory
- Thousands of residents without power in St. Bernard Parish
- Tarleton State gets the most out of early touchdowns, defeats Southeastern 14-13