COMMERCE, Texas (AP) — Collin Guggenheim had 16 carries for 76 yards and two touchdowns, Jaylon Spears added a 17-yard rushing touchdown and Nicholls scored the final 27 points Saturday to beat Texas A&M-Commerce 27-7.
Spears finished with 69 yards rushing on 12 carries. Pat McQuaide was 16-of-26 passing for 240 yards with a touchdown and an interception for Nicholls (3-3, 3-0 Southland Conference).
Josh Magana threw a 33-yard touchdown pass to Keith Miller III to cap a nine-play, 75-yard opening drive but the Commerce offense stalled from there.
McQuaide threw a 35-yard scoring strike to make it 7-all going into the second quarter before Guggenheim and Spears added touchdown runs of 14 and 17 yards, respectively to give Nicholls a 21-7 lead at intermission.
Magana was 17-of-20 passing for 120 yards in the first half but did not play (coach’s decision) in the second half for Texas A&M-Commerce (1-6, 1-2).
Lake Bennett replaced Magana to begin the third quarter and completed 6 of 14 for 101 yards with three interceptions.
Guggenheim capped the scoring with a 2-yard touchdown run with 8:54 to play.
- Woman dies after falling through kitchen floor into 48-foot well shaft below SC home
- Video: Fritz, Pratt talk AAC title game, coach’s future
- Biden Labor nominee stalls in Senate after Manchin, Menendez vote with GOP
- Former OPSO recruit arrested following fight between detainees at Orleans Justice Center
- Trump gives mixed messages on how he’d handle Israel-Hamas war