SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Collin Guggenheim ran for 153 yards and four touchdowns, Jaylon Spears added 160 yards rushing and Nicholls beat Incarnate Word 45-32 Saturday night to take sole possession of first place in the Southland Conference.
Guggenheim scored on runs of 5 and 6 yards less than 5 minutes apart in the second quarter to give Nicholls (5-4, 5-0) the lead for good at 24-10 with 25 seconds left in the first half.
Devonte’ Mathews returned a fumble 58 yards for a touchdown and Guggenheim added a 43-yard TD run midway through the third quarter to make it 38-13.
Zach Calzada completed 28 of 48 passes for 394 yards with four touchdowns and two interceptions for Incarnate Word (7-2, 4-1).
Brandon Porter had 11 receptions for 138 yards and a touchdown, Jaelin Campbell added 111 yards receiving, including a 19-yard touchdown that capped the scoring with about 9 minutes to play, and Caleb Chapman caught TD passes of 6 yards in the third quarter and 29 yards in the fourth.
The Cardinals, who went into the game ranked No. 4 in the FCS coaches poll, fell into a tie with Lamar for second in the conference standings.
- Vikings get promising news on WR Justin Jefferson after he’s taken to hospital with chest injury
- Man accused of stabbing Panda Express worker over food quality in Missouri
- Christmas in the State Park kicks off in Union Parish
- Photos: Bighorn sheep gets stuck on roof of home in Colorado
- Chilly nights, cool days most of this week