Vikings stun the Saints

saints logo
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Minneapolis, Mn. — What looked like a comeback win for the Saints, was spoiled by a 61-yard touchdown by Stefon Diggs at the end of the game, lifting the Vikings to the 29-24 win over New Orleans.

The Saints overcame a 17-point third quarter to take their first lead of the game with 3 minutes to play, where there were 4 lead changes over those final 3 minutes.

The Saints’ rally started with 90 seconds to play in the third quarter, when Drew Brees connected with Michael Thomas for the 14-yard touchdown, getting the Saints on the board, down 17-7. Then just 8 seconds later, they got a huge play on defense. Cam Jordan’s pressure on Keenum caused him to make an ill-advised throw, which landed in the hands of Saints cornerback Marcus Williams. He returned it 12 yards to the 30, setting-up the Saints with a short field. The drive carried-over to the 4th quarter, where it was Brees to Thomas again for another touchdown– this one from 3 yards out, making it a 17-14 ballgame.

After a Kai Forbath 49-yard field goal made it 20-14, the Saints came-up with another big play– on special teams this time. George Thompson broke-through to block the Vikings’ punt, setting-up the Saints’ offense at the 40. Just 4 plays later, Brees found Alvin Kamara in the endzone on the 14-yard touchdown and with the point after, the Saints took their first lead of the game with 3 minutes to play, leading 21-20.

The Vikings then marched down the field and Forbath drilled a 53-yard field goal to put Minnesota back out front 23-21 with 1:34 to play.

The Saints then went to work themselves. Brees connected with Willie Snead on a huge 4th and 10 play for a 13-yard pick-up down to the 33. That drive resulted in a Wil Lutz 43-yard field goal to put the Saints back out front with :29 to go, making it 24-23.

With 10 seconds to play, one last shot for the Vikings, when Keenum found Diggs, who broke-loose from a tackle and took-off down the sideline as time expired, scoring the game-winning 61-yard touchdown. The Vikings (14-3) now advance to face the Eagles in the NFC Championship game, while the season comes to an end for the Saints, finishing at (12-6).


Latest News

More News