NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — Republican Steve Scalise has ended his bid to become House speaker after failing to secure the votes to win the gavel.
Scalise told GOP colleagues at a closed-door meeting late Thursday, Oct. 12, of his decision.
Next steps are uncertain as the House is now essentially closed while the Republican majority tries to elect a speaker after ousting Kevin McCarthy from the job.
- Supreme Court to confront post-Roe abortion battles
- Sununu set to play key role in GOP’s New Hampshire primary
- A $16 McDonald’s meal is going viral again. Here’s why
- US Osprey aircraft with 6 aboard crashes off coast of Japan, at least 1 dead
- How Archbishop Rummel turned a four-win regular season into a semi-final appearance