ATLANTA (AP) — Atlanta’s mayor announced a curfew will be in effect from 9 p.m. Saturday to sunrise on Sunday.
Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms announced the curfew during a news conference Saturday evening. She called it a “very unusual and extreme step” after violence rocked the city Friday night. Georgia’s governor said Saturday he’s authorized up to 1,500 National Guard troops to deploy throughout the city.
A protest over the death in Minnesota of George Floyd turned violent Friday night, as people burned police cars and damaged businesses, resulting in 71 arrests.
- “Everything was on fire,” witnesses describe moments after Foley plane crash
- Americans sweet on chocolate, baked goods during pandemic, study finds
- 3,000 Saints fans welcomed back to the Superdome; celebrate win over the Carolina Panthers
- Views on immigration, border wall set New Mexico congressional candidates apart
- VIDEO FORECAST: Tropical Storm Zeta forecast to impact Gulf Coast by mid-week