NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) - New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, standing next to the father of Bourbon Street mass shooting victim Demontris Toliver at a 10 a.m. press conference, called last Sunday’s shooting a terrible tragedy that marred an otherwise beautiful weekend.
“Two visitors decided to have a shootout inside of a large crowd on Bourbon Street, that took what was an otherwise beautiful time and turned it into a tragedy that will never be forgotten,” Landrieu said. “...the gunmen showed a complete disregard for everybody else’s life, and they did something that has changed families and the city forever.”
Landrieu quickly turned to tough talk aimed at anyone intending to commit crimes in New Orleans.
“Last weekend in the French Quarter, the New Orleans Police Department and our partners made 11 arrests for illegal guns on the streets of New Orleans,” he said. “Two of those arrests were made immediately following the incident.”
Landrieu told Ken Toliver, Demontris Toliver’s father, that the entire city is standing with him in his time of need.
“Mr. Toliver, on behalf of all of the people of the City of New Orleans, our thoughts and our prayers are with you,” he said. “you’re going to have a whole in your heart, as you know, for the rest of your life, but we are going to stand with you and your family.”
NOPD chief Michael Harrison said his detectives “hit the ground running” from the start of the investigation.
“Through the course of this investigation, we were able to identify the suspects as two men from the Lafayette area who were in town for the weekend festivities,” Harrison said. “One of the suspects is believed to be 20-year-old Jordan Clay. We believe that Clay and the remaining suspect knew each other, they had been involved in an ongoing dispute outside of New Orleans, and they met again on Bourbon Street that night. That encounter turned violent, and a shootout followed.”
“Clay was detained in Breaux Bridge Louisiana, where he is currently being held as a fugitive, and of course he will be extradited to New Orleans,” he said.
Investigators are still working aggressively to identify and locate the other suspect, Harrison said, but he declined to release any details on that part of the investigation.
“We have a lot of work left to do in this investigation,” Harrison said. “We will not stop and we will not be deterred.”
“We believe that neither Clay nor the second suspect had any affiliation with either Southern or Grambling Universities, and neither live in New Orleans,” Harrison said. “Our message is really clear: you cannot commit crime in the city of New Orleans and get away with it. Regardless of who you are and where you live, we will find you, we will arrest you, and you will face consequences for the decisions you make.”
A tearful Ken Toliver expressed thanks to everyone in New Orleans who has helped him in this tough time, and asked for everyone to keep him and his family in their thoughts and prayers.
A fund to cover funeral expenses has been set up in the Toliver family name at Gulf South Bank.
Watch a live stream of the press conference below: