COVINGTON, La. (WGNO) — The Louisiana State Fire Marshal’s Office reports that a man is dead following a house fire in Covington on Sunday, Oct. 22.
State Fire Marshal deputies said crews with the St. Tammany Fire District 12 responded to a call of a house fire in the 76000 block of Cameo Drive around 1:15 a.m.
At the scene, firefighters said they found a man inside a closet and removed him from the home. He was then brought to a hospital, where he later died.
Deputies said they determined that the fire started in the home’s fireplace as they “found evidence of it in use with the flue still closed” during an assessment.
The St. Tammany Parish Coroner’s Office identified the victim as 62-year-old Paul E. Nathan on Tuesday, Oct. 24.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Silent Night, Holy Night. Under the stars in Slidell
- Centenarian survivors of Pearl Harbor attack return to honor those who died 82 years ago
- SWBNO changing approach following Saturday flooding in New Orleans
- Lafourche Parish schools, roads closed due to marsh fire smoke
- Wisconsin judge rules 1849 law doesn’t outlaw abortion