NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — The New Orleans music community is mourning the loss of acclaimed drummer, Russell Batiste, who died Saturday, Sept. 30.
Batiste was a member of the large musical Batiste family the includes Batist Brothers Band and his cousin Jon.
Russell played drums with a who’s who of New Orleans including the Funky Meters, The Wild Magnolias and Dumpstaphunk.
According to Batiste’s family, he had a heart attack. He was 57 years old.
New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell released a statement expressing her condolences:
“I want to offer my deepest condolences to the family, friends, and fans of New Orleans’ own Russell Batiste.
The music created by the Batiste family dynasty helped define the cultural legacy of the City of New Orleans and will continue to inspire people across the globe for generations. The memory and genius of Russell Batiste will live on in the knowledge that the sounds he created brought joy and happiness to countless lives. May he now rest in God’s perfect peace.”
- Mother of slain Huntington student shares how tragic loss empowers her to give more
- Holiday festivities kick off with Christmas Parade in West Monroe
- NFL chain crew member dislocates his knee during Lions-Saints game
- Low rain chances most of this week
- Felicity Huffman opens up about college admissions scandal