THIBODAUX, La. (WGNO) — Representatives with Nicholls State University announced that the school’s 2023 freshmen class grew more than 20% compared to the previous year.
University representatives said 14th-day class statistics show the school enrolled 6,200 students this year, which is 301 more students than fall 2022, “due to an incoming first-time freshmen class that grew 20.3% and a 73.5% increase in high school students participating in dual enrollment courses both within and outside of campus.”
They said of the 6,200 students enrolled, 5,632 are undergraduate students and 568 are graduate students.
Nicholls representatives also noted that the school retained 76.2% of first and full-time freshmen from fall 2022 to fall 2023.
They said the first-time freshmen class is “7.36% more diverse” compared to the fall 2022 class, with 53.7% identifying as first-generation students.
In addition to class growth, university representatives noted that the most popular majors for fall 2023 include nursing, allied health sciences, business administration, psychology and biology.
- Rubber Duck Derby returns to New Orleans City Park for 14th year
- Biden says ‘not much time’ to keep aid flowing to Ukraine and Congress must ‘stop the games’
- More than 75,000 workers prep for possibility of largest health care strike in US history
- Sunny start to the week for NOLA
- Tim Wakefield, former Red Sox pitcher, dies at 57