7 horses die in Bossier barn fire due to heat lamp overuse

Louisiana

BATON ROUGE, La. — The South Bossier Fire Department responded to a report of a barn fire over the weekend in the 1900 block of Highway 154 in Elm Grove.

Firefighters discovered that seven horses had died in the fire on Saturday night. Three of the horses belonged to the property owner, but four were being boarded there.

After an assessment of the scene, including witness statements, deputies determined the fire began as a result of an overheated heat lamp that was left on in the barn to keep the horses warm.

“Heat lamps seem like a simple solution, but in reality, they’re a fire hazard similar to a space heater that are unfortunately left unattended frequently,” said State Fire Marshal H. “Butch” Browning.

“These lamps being placed close to bedding and left on for extended periods of time are not only dangerous for the animals you’re trying to warm, but if a fire starts, you’re jeopardizing your property and your family’s lives too.”

Barn Fire on Highway 154 in Elm Grove, Bossier, La.

Two other fire investigations this week involved heat lamps warming cats and dogs outdoors that
overheated creating fires. In one case in the Houma area, the dog being warmed died in the resulting fire.

In the other case, in Livingston Parish, three people suffered minor injuries trying to escape the fire.

“The best plan of action for protecting pets from frigid temperatures is to bring them inside,” said Browning, “For livestock and larger animals, there are various ways to provide warmth with extra bedding and blankets. We encourage everyone to use this opportunity to reevaluate their preparedness for extreme cold weather and alter your warming game plan now.”

Popular

Latest News

More News