NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — A Ben Franklin High School student was killed after being hit by a school bus in City Park on Saturday, June 3.
Officials with the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) said the crash happened just after 3:00 p.m. in the 100 block of Zachary Taylor Park.
Police said the driver of a school bus, 34-year-old Arielle Tillman, was traveling eastbound when she struck the 16-year-old student.
The teen was taken by ambulance to a local hospital but did not survive.
In a letter to parents, Ben Franklin Head of School Dr. Patrick Widhalm identified the victim as Belle Adelman-Cannon, who was a rising senior.
The New Orleans coroner will perform an autopsy to determine the cause of death.
When asked if Tillman would face charges, NOPD officials said the investigation is ongoing.
Ben Franklin will be open Monday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. with counselors for anyone who needs support. Students and staff are also welcome in the courtyard at 1: p.m. to grieve together.
- Where Hunter Biden’s charges stand
- Funding talks stalled in Congress
- Nearly half of men think they can safely land a plane in an emergency, survey finds
- Which states leave the best — and worst — tips at restaurants? New report explains
- Top five dining options at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, according to Yelp