NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — A Ben Franklin High School student was killed after being hit by a school bus in City Park on Saturday, June 3.
Officials with the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) said the crash happened just after 3:00 p.m. in the 100 block of Zachary Taylor Park.
Police said the driver of a school bus, 34-year-old Arielle Tillman, was traveling eastbound when she struck the 16-year-old student.
The teen was taken by ambulance to a local hospital but did not survive.
In a letter to parents, Ben Franklin Head of School Dr. Patrick Widhalm identified the victim as Belle Adelman-Cannon, who was a rising senior.
The New Orleans coroner will perform an autopsy to determine the cause of death.
When asked if Tillman would face charges, NOPD officials said the investigation is ongoing.
Ben Franklin will be open Monday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. with counselors for anyone who needs support. Students and staff are also welcome in the courtyard at 1: p.m. to grieve together.
- Indian Village Harvest Farm opens pumpkin patch for the season
- Rubber Duck Derby returns to New Orleans City Park for 14th year
- Biden says ‘not much time’ to keep aid flowing to Ukraine and Congress must ‘stop the games’
- More than 75,000 workers prep for possibility of largest health care strike in US history
- Sunny start to the week for NOLA