Watch: NOPD Supt. announces arrests made in 4 recent homicides

Local

NEW ORLEANS – According to Chief Ferguson, so far this year, the New Orleans Police Department has investigated 136 homicides. That number is much higher than the 81 investigations last year, and 114 in the year before.

In just the last 10 days, (Sept 6-16) the NOPD has arrested 20 individuals for gun related crimes, and they have seized 34 guns.

At this point, the NOPD’s solve rate is 37%.

On Wednesday afternoon, NOPD Superintendent Shaun Ferguson disclosed newly gathered information in the investigations into four recent homicides.


On September 10, three teenagers were killed in a shooting in the 4100 block of Rayne Drive.

On September 14, the New Orleans Coroner identified the three victims as 17-year-old Frank Bedell, 19-year-old Hassan Miller, and 19-year-old Khalil Allen.

The three teenage victims all died as a result of gunshot wounds.

The NOPD says additionally, a 21-year-old female and a 19-year-old male were injured in this incident, but are in stable condition.

At the scene, police detained a 19-year-old and a 15-year-old. Through investigation, it was determined that the 15-year-old was the shooter in the incident.

Chief Ferguson says after obtaining a warrant, the 15-year-old was arrested for three counts of second-degree murder and two counts of attempted second-degree murder.

This investigation is ongoing as detectives work to determine the full involvement of the 19-year-old.


On September 8, the NOPD began investigating a shooting at the intersection of St. Charles and Canal Street.

Two individuals believed to be related to this incident were detained near the scene.

Through investigation, it was determined that detained juvenile was involved in the incident, and he was arrested.

Both the victim, 37-year-old Lymon Brignac and the suspect are believed to be from the Lake Charles area.

This investigation is ongoing, as detectives work to determine the suspects full involvement.


Chief Ferguson announced the arrest of a suspect wanted for a May 11 drive-by-shooting that killed a 3-year-old boy and his 23-year-old sibling.

After four months on the run, 19-year-old Razaq Adekunle turned himself in, and is being held on two counts of 2nd degree murder.

Already arrested in this incident were brothers, 23-year-old Rodney Steadman and 19-year-old Ronjae Steadman. They are each charged with two counts of first-degree murder, among other crimes, in a 10-count indictment handed up by an Orleans Parish grand jury.

Prosecutors say the suspects pulled up to a New Orleans neighborhood in May and opened fire on another family, killing James Estem, his younger brother, Isaha Adams, and injuring the victims’ 48-year-old mother.


Chief Ferguson announced the arrest of 35-year-old Roderick Magee, who was originally wanted for the September 17 shooting in the 1700 block of Tupelo Street.

During the investigation, it was learned that Magee was also involved in a homicide in the 6100 block of Murray St.

Magee is being held on homicide and aggravated battery charges.

Popular

Latest News

More News