NEW ORLEANS – According to officials, Real ID-compliant credentials will be required for air-travel by the end of next year.
At a press conference on Friday morning, the TSA, Louisiana OMV, and the MSY International Airport reminded Louisiana residents that beginning October 2020, all travelers will need a form of identification that is REAL ID-compliant to board a commercial flight.
Real ID-compliant credentials will also be required to gain access to secure federal facilities, including military bases, nuclear facilities and some federal offices.
Officials say currently, only 10% of Louisiana citizens have been issued a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or identification card.
To determine if a Louisiana driver’s license is REAL ID-compliant, look for a small star inside a gold circle in the upper right-hand corner. The presence of the icon will indicate that the driver’s license is REAL ID-compliant.
While at MSY, TSA agents showed off some of their most recent confiscations.
The list includes, guns, knives, self defense weapons, and a drill with several drill bits.
TSA agents would like to remind the public to always check to see what can and cannot be brought onto a plane, or be put in a checked bag.
Congress passed The REAL ID Act in 2005. It enacted a recommendation from the 9/11 Commission that established minimum security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards to improve reliability while inhibiting the ability of terrorists and others to evade detection by using fraudulent identification. The Act further prohibited federal agencies, including the TSA, from accepting state-issued driver’s licenses or identification cards that do not meet the minimum standards.
Louisiana offers an Opt-in, Opt-out feature that allows residents a choice in obtaining a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or identification card. Residents who Opt-out, will be required to provide another REAL ID – compliant document type prior to boarding a commercial flight on or after Oct. 1, 2020. A driver’s license or identification card that is REAL ID – compliant will cost the same as a driver’s license or identification card that is not compliant.
- Individuals wishing to obtain a REAL ID – compliant driver’s license or identification card for the first time must visit an Office of Motor Vehicles location in person. A full list of office locations can be obtained at Expresslane.org .
- Applicants who renew their driver’s license or identification card online or by mail will not be able to obtain their first REAL ID – compliant driver’s license or identification card.
- The Office of Motor Vehicles has provided an interactive tool to assist citizens in determining what documents will be necessary to obtain a REAL ID driver’s license or an identification card which may be accessed at Expresslane.org
- Louisiana was the first state to successfully implement a digital driver’s license and identification card application. The Office of Motor Vehicles is currently requesting approval from DHS to use the digital identification as an accepted form of identification.
- TSA maintains a full list of acceptable forms of REAL ID-compliant identification at https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification. Some examples are a U.S. passport or U.S. passport card; Department of Homeland Security Trusted Traveler card; military ID including IDs issued to dependents; tribal identification card; and Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC.)