NEW ORLEANS – The Coast Guard and local agencies are searching for a person in the water in the Port Allen Route near Belle River.
Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector New Orleans received a report at 9:50 p.m., Monday, that a 14-foot skiff carrying four crewmembers from the ITV Melvin L. King struck a towing vessel and all four people entered the water at mile marker 41.
Two people were rescued on the bank of Port Allen Route. One body was recovered by the Iberville Sherriff Office. One crewmember is still missing.
The Port Allen Route is closed from mile marker 41 to mile Marker 55.
Involved in the search are:
- Coast Guard Station New Orleans 29-foot Response Boat-Small boatcrew
- Coast Guard Marine Safety Unit Baton Rouge 29-foot Response Boat-Small boatcrew
- Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans MH-65 Dolphin Helicopter air crew
- Iberville Sherriff Office
- Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries
The cause of the incident is under investigation.