WASHINGTON PARISH, La. (WGNO) — Bogue Chitto State Park was evacuated on Monday, Aug. 21, because of a wildfire in Washington Parish.
A representative for Lt. Gov. Billy Nungesser said the park was evacuated as a precaution.
According to park officials, the wildfire was about three miles from the park.
They said the fire has been contained and about 30 park guests were given the option of moving to another state park.
“I want to reiterate that this move was a precautionary measure. While the fire is under control, we will evaluate the situation in the morning and determine when park guests can safely return,” said Nungesser.
- Funding talks stalled in Congress
- Nearly half of men think they can safely land a plane in an emergency, survey finds
- Which states leave the best — and worst — tips at restaurants? New report explains
- Top five dining options at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, according to Yelp
- Step inside a Vincent van Gogh painting in New Orleans