NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — The Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office (OPSO) is investigating the death of a male inmate.
According to OPSO officials, a male inmate was taken to the hospital after officers found him unresponsive in his cell around 3:30 p.m. on Friday, May 26th.
They said contraband was found inside the inmate’s cell. He died on Sunday, May 28th.
OPSO officials said his death remains under investigation.
“As Sheriff, I am deeply saddened by the death of a resident at the Orleans Justice Center. This agency is committed to the care and humane treatment of everyone in our custody, and I will be unwavering in my efforts to get a full account of the incidents that lead up to this. Although we’re in the midst of a very preliminary investigation, we have been in close contact with the resident’s family, jail staff and senior leadership and will determine if any disciplinary action needs to be taken.” said Sheriff Susan Hutson.
- Couple uses local law firm to offer residents a solution to porch pirate problems
- Saints’ Carr leaves game with shoulder injury after getting sacked in 3rd quarter against Packers
- Sterlington woman arrested after video circulates on social media of abandoned dogs in church parking lot
- Video shows deputy slamming girl to the ground in Southern California
- Worker dies while preparing for Formula 1 race on Las Vegas Strip: sources