PATTERSON, La. (KLFY) – The death of a Patterson man in custody of the St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office is being investigated.
According to the St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office, deputies were called to a residence in Patterson at 11:46 p.m. Sunday night about a disturbance. Upon arrival, the deputies made contact with a suspect. After an investigation, the man was placed under arrest.
Hector Ruiz-Santos, 42 of Patterson was arrested just after midnight, Monday morning, on charges of battery on a police officer, resisting a police officer with force-non aggravated and disturbing the peace-violent and tumultuous manner. Ruiz-Santos was taken into custody, placed in the back seat of the patrol unit and transported to the St. Mary Parish Law Enforcement Center for booking.
Upon arrival at the enforcement center, Ruiz-Santos was unresponsive. CPR was administered and Acadian was dispatched to the scene, however, life-saving efforts were unsuccessful.
An investigation into this incident is ongoing. More information will be provided as it becomes available.
- Vacherie man killed in St. James Parish crash
- Will holiday travel be chaotic again this year? What’s changed since 2022
- Clean-up begins after 6 killed, neighborhoods damaged in severe Tennessee storms
- Deadlines start soon to ship holiday packages via USPS, FedEx and UPS
- Grocery clerk dies after customer impales him with a golf club: Minneapolis police