NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — A man is in the custody of the New Orleans Police Department after a SWAT Roll in New Orleans East on Friday, Sept. 22.
According to officers, they received a call around 4:50 a.m. about a domestic disturbance in the 14400 block of Peltier Drive. When officers arrived, the suspect opened the door enough to talk to officers but then closed it.
Deputy Chief Hans Ganthier said the suspect began to exhibit erratic behavior. Officers then decided to retreat and take cover after receiving word that the man was armed.
Shots were then reportedly fired from inside the home at the officers. There was no return fire but a police unit was stuck. A SWAT Roll was declared, and the man surrendered and was taken into custody.
Ganthier further mentioned the possibility of a woman being in the home who reportedly escaped before officers arrived.
No injuries were reported from the incident but the man was taken to a local hospital for medical evaluation, according to the NOPD. Officers did not say if there was someone else inside the home.
No further details are available at this time. The incident remains under investigation.
Anyone with information about the shooting can call NOPD Seventh District detectives at (504)-658-6070, Crimestoppers of Greater New Orleans at (504)-822-1111 or toll-free at 1-877-903-STOP.
- UPenn president Magill resigns in wake of antisemitism controversy
- Florida school district adding 4-day weekends to combat chronic absences
- Toys for Tots in New Orleans requesting toy donations amid inflation, increased need
- Shohei Ohtani signing with Los Angeles Dodgers
- Holiday shopping survey reveals stressful trend among US consumers