LAFOURCHE, La. (WGNO) — A Gold Meadow man has been sentenced to life without parole Friday (April 21st) for drowning a woman in a Bayou Lafourche.
According to court documents, 47-year-old Travis Orso drowned Dione Cheramie after beating her in May 2020.
During his trial, Orso told prosecutors that he and Cheramie were arguing in his truck when she decided to jump into the water and that he went into the water to save her.
Through investigation, prosecutors determined Orso’s claims were false.
“Witnesses rushed to help save Dion Cheramie’s life, all while the defendant was cursing her,
calling her obscene names, and drinking the beer set down by one of the individuals who rushed
from a residence to help,” said Assistant District Attorney Jason Chatagnier. “Not once did the defendant show concern for Dion Cheramie, or any remorse for drowning her. His actions were that of a cold and callous killer.”
Orso’s bond has been revoked at this time. His hearing is set for July 14th, 2023.
- DeSantis blasts debt ceiling deal he says leaves US ‘careening toward bankruptcy’
- LSP investigating deadly motorcycle crash in Pierre Part
- Supreme Court preview: the major decisions still to come
- How a Netflix true crime show helped find a missing teenager
- Talk to teens about the 100 deadliest days of the driving year
Stay updated with the latest news, weather, and sports by downloading the WGNO app on the Apple or Google Play store and subscribing to the WGNO newsletter.