OCEAN SPRINGS, Miss. (AP) — One person is dead and at least six other people were shot during a Cinco de Mayo party at a Mississippi restaurant late Friday night, police said.
Ocean Springs Police Capt. Ryan LeMaire, in a news release, confirmed that seven people were shot at The Scratch Kitchen on Government Street. The surviving victims were transported to area hospitals for treatment, LeMaire said. The extent of their injuries was not immediately released.
He identified the man killed as Chase Harmon, 19, of Pascagoula.
No arrests had been made as of Saturday morning, but Lemaire said the investigation is ongoing.
“We urge anyone with any information to call the Ocean Springs Police Department,” he said.
The Scratch Kitchen’s owner told the Sun Herald there were about 200 people at the restaurant when the shooter ran past employees who were doing security checks at the entrance to the patio.
“The person who did the shooting wasn’t a customer,” owner Brittany Alexander said. “He didn’t get an arm band or anything to be out here.”
Ocean Springs is about 4 miles (6 kilometers) east of Biloxi, Mississippi.
- Convicted felon arrested again in St. Charles Parish, over a dozen narcotics found
- Florida sheriff reacts to home invasion vid: ‘If you kick my door in, in the middle of the night, I will kill you graveyard dead’
- This university forgives loan debt so students can come back to school
- Oklahoma school board approves nation’s first religious charter school
- Through the years: Apple’s breakthrough products
Stay updated with the latest news, weather, and sports by downloading the WGNO app on the Apple or Google Play store and subscribing to the WGNO newsletter.