NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — The award-winning Royal Sonesta New Orleans is preparing for this Mardi Gras season with its 53rd annual Greasing of the Poles, and we have your front-row seat to all the action!
Contestants showcased their greasing skills on Bourbon Street as they took a shot at the 2023 Greasing Champion title with this year’s theme, “Grease Like a Royal.” At the end of the day, it was WGNO meteorologist Brooke Laizer who took the crown.
Filled with fun memories and bragging rights, participants also got to partake in an important part of the decades-long Mardi Gras history. What started as a safety precaution in the 1970s to keep party-goers from climbing to the hotel’s picturesque balcony has turned into an all-out party for tourists and locals alike to tune in for.
FULL VIDEO: 2023 Greasing of the Poles
Who to Look For
Host: Actor Bryan Batt
- Former WGNO and current NWS Meteorologist Scot Pilie
- Bloggers TravelerBroads (Fender & Maloney)
- WGNO meteorologist Brooke Laizer
- New Orleans Burlesque star Jeez Loueez
- WGNO reporter and former winner Kenny Lopez
- FOX8 reporter Kelsey Davis
- Michael Maloney with Coburn Supply Co.
- Shirin Braden with Moet Hennessy USA
- 2022 greasing champion and Tiktok star Greg Kata
- Burlesque star Trixie Minx
- Photographer David Mora
- Badass Balloon Co. owner and politician Desiree Ontiveros
- Leroy Jones and the Original Hurricane Brass Band
- Krewe of Bacchus
- Krewe of NOMTOC
- Krewe of Zulu
- Mardi Gras Indians
- The Merry Antoinettes
Stay with WGNO and Royal Sonesta New Orleans for all things greasy!
Stay updated with the latest news, weather, and sports by downloading the WGNO app on the Apple or Google Play store and subscribing to the WGNO newsletter.