New Year, new goals, new habits. Adding in green juice on the regular really can make us feel like we’re doing something really good for our bodies. But some green drinks can pack in the sugar equivalent of more than 15 sugar packets, so it pays to know what you’re really getting. In today’s Love it, Like it, Hate it, Molly covers the best and worst of green drinks.
The Green Fork fresh-pressed juices, e.g. Balance blend or Love blend
Balance: Cucumber, kale, spinach, parsley, cilantro, beet, lime, ginger, celtic salt, spirulina.
Love: celery, apple, romaine, kale, cucumber, spinach, lemon, parsley
- Molly’s modifications: Almond Milk in place of fruit juice + Greek yogurt in place of banana
- Spinach, kale, ginger, mango, protein powder, Greek yogurt, almond milk, fiber blend
- Per 20-ounce: 207 calories – 29 grams carb – 7 grams fiber – 18 grams sugar (0 added sugar) – 21 grams protein + added bonus of 400 mg calcium and more than 700 mg potassium.
- Per 16-ounce bottle: 60 calories, 12 grams sugar
- 100% green veg, e.g. cucumber, celery, kale, collards, broccoli, parsley, lemon, basil
Evolution FRESH Organic Essential Greens
- Per 15-ounce bottle: 70 calories, 12 grams sugar
- Celery, cucumber, spinach, romaine, kale, lime, parsley
Excellent options; I just prefer fresh-pressed juices over powder. However, powdered greens are fantastic for travel.
- Blend of collagen + hyaluronic acid + raw greens
- Marine collagen, Organic wheat grass, coconut water powder, alfalfa leaf, kale, barley grass, spinach
- Powdered greens, enzymes + pre- and probiotic blend
Naked KALE BLAZER and GREEN MACHINE “100% Juice” Smoothies
- Per 16-ounce bottle: 190-270 calories; 34-53 grams sugar
- Orange or apple juice are first ingredients; Green Machine is also filled with mango puree, pineapple juice, banana puree, kiwi puree, spirulina, alfalfa, broccoli, spinach, barley grass, wheat grass, parsley, ginger, kale
Odwalla Original Superfood Smoothie
- Per 16-ounce serving: 260 calories, 54 grams sugar
- Apple juice, peach and mango purees, banana puree, less than 1% spirulina, wheat grass, barley grass…
Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness
- Per 16-ounce serving: 240 calories, 52 grams sugar
- Pineapple juice, apple juice, mango puree, banana puree, kiwi puree top the ingredient list, followed by spirulina, green tea, spinach, broccoli, barley grass, wheat grass
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her articles in Thrive Global! Follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD - and check out her weekly podcast; just search ‘Molly Kimball’ on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app.