Let’s be honest, we’re typically not perusing the bake mix aisle with noble thoughts of nutrition and wellness in mind. But we may not be aware of two really big points: First, that some brownie mixes have double the sugar and calories of others. And second, that there’s actually a good-for-you option on shelves!
In today’s Get FUELED segment, Molly covers the best and worst s there’s two big we probably don’t realize just how UN-nutritious some of the mixes can be, Decadently rich brownies that are also low in carbs, gluten-free and grain-free, and keto friendly? It’s a reality that’s easy to bring into your kitchen, thanks to key ingredients like almond flour, unsweetened cocoa powder and Swerve.
Swerve Sweets Brownie Mix
- Box Mix + 2 Eggs + ½ Cup Oil + ½ Cup Water => homemade brownies in minutes!
- Ingredients include: Blanched almond flour, Swerve, cocoa, tapioca starch, organic coconut flour, sea salt
- Per Brownie: 160 calories, 13 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 16 grams carbs (5 net carbs), 3 grams fiber, 1 gram sugar (0 added sugar), 4 grams protein
Simple Mills Brownie Mix
- Ingredients include: Almond flour, organic coconut sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa, tapioca starch, sea salt
- Per Brownie: 100 calories, 6 grams fat, 1.5 grams saturated fat, 13 grams carbs (11 net carbs), 2 grams fiber, 9 grams added sugar
Traditional Brownie Mix – e.g. Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker
- Ingredients include: sugar, white flour, palm oil, cocoa, corn syrup, corn starch
- Per Brownie: 180 calories, 1.6 grams fat, <1 gram saturated fat, 40 grams carbs (40 net carbs), <1 gram fiber, 28 grams added sugar
Betty Crocker Mug Treats Hot Fudge Brownie Mix
- Ingredients include: sugar, sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oil, white flour, chocolate chips
- Per Serving: 380 calories, 9 grams fat, 3.5 grams saturated fat, 72 grams carbs (70 grams net carbs), 2 grams fiber, 50 grams added sugar
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! Follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD – and check out her weekly podcast; just search ‘Molly Kimball’ on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app.