Summer’s the perfect time to fire up the grill, but your choice of BBQ sauce can make it or break it, nutritionally speaking. In today’s Get FUELED segment, Molly shares her top BBQ picks along with which brands pack in nearly a day’s worth of added sugar!
Looking to make your own homemade BBQ sauce? Check out this delicious Swerve-sweetened low-carb BBQ sauce!
Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce | Vegan, GF
- Per 2 tablespoons: 15 calories – 160 mg sodium – 3 grams carbs – 2 grams sugar (0 added sugar)
- All-organic ingredients include tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, spices
2 Sister’s BBQ Sauce [LOCAL]
- Per 2 tablespoons: 35 calories – 550 mg sodium – 8 grams carbs – 6 grams sugar
- Ingredients include tomatoes, salsa base (tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, vinegar, garlic, worcestershire…
- Per 2 tablespoons: 30 calories – 250 mg sodium – 7 grams carbs – 5 grams sugar (4 grams added sugar)
- Ingredients include tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, molasses, salt, spices…
- Per 2 tablespoons: 0 calories – 210 mg sodium – 0 carbs – 0 sugar
- Water, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, vinegar, cellulose gel, salt…. Sucralose…
Bone Suckin’ BBQ Sauce | GF
- Per 2 tablespoons: 50 calories – 210 mg sodium – 13 grams carbs – 12 grams sugar
- Tomato puree, honey, apple cider vinegar, molasses, mustard, salt, horseradish, herbs & spices
Kraft Sweet & Spicy Chipotle Barbeque Sauce
- Per 2 tablespoons: 60 calories – 360 mg sodium – 15 grams carbs – 13 grams sugar (13 grams added sugar)
- High fructose corn syrup, vinegar, water, tomato paste, molasses, sugar, apple cider vinegar…
Sweet Baby Ray’s Original Barbecue Sauce
- Per 2 tablespoons: 70 calories – 290 mg sodium – 18 grams carbs – 17 grams sugar (17 grams added sugar)
- High fructose corn syrup is #1 ingredient, followed by vinegar, tomato paste, then modified corn starch….
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to
her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! Follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD – and check out her weekly podcast; just search ‘Molly Kimball’ on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app.