When we’re on the run with work, family, and friends, a refreshingly sweet coffee drink can be just what we need! But they can also be loaded with sugary calories, which can leave us bottomed out within hours, looking for more caffeine – not to mention craving carbs & sugar – for an energy boost.
Fortunately, there are some decent options, so today we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on the top picks and worst bets at the coffee shop!
The skinny on ordering a better-for-you coffee drink:
- Choose smaller size
- Opt for skim or low-fat milk
- Hold whipped/chocolate toppings
- Get all-natural flavor with flavored coffee beans – beans tossed with flavored extracts
- At local coffee shops like PJ’s Coffee, flavors typically include Southern Pecan, French Vanilla, Hazelnut, Pralines & Cream, English Toffee
- Iced coffee + skim milk + SF flavoring
DIY Blended coffee drink: Blend low-fat milk (or almond milk) with cocoa powder, coffee, protein powder (optional) and Swerve. Try freezing coffee into ice cubes for even more robust coffee flavor.
PJ’s Coffee Sugar Free Iced Mocha
- 20 calories – 0.5 grams saturated fat – 1 gram carb – 1 gram sugar – 1 gram protein per 16-oz
Smoothie King Almond Mocha High Protein - “Make it Skinny”
- 245 calories – 1 g sat fat – 19 grams carbs – 14 grams sugar – 30 grams protein per 20-ounce
- Ingredients: Whey protein blend, protein blend, coffee, almonds, non-fat milk
PJ’s Coffee Granita
- 160 calories – 3 grams saturated fat – 23 grams carb – 19 grams sugar – 5 grams protein per 16-oz
- Can add more sweetness with SF flavors like SF vanilla, caramel, chocolate, & white chocolate
- 160 calories – 0 sat fat – 33 grams carbs – 30 grams sugar – 4 grams protein per grande/16-oz
Starbuck’s White Chocolate Mocha Frappuccino Blended Coffee w/ whole milk + whipped cream
- 440 calories – 10 grams sat fat – 69 grams carbs – 67 grams sugar – 5 grams protein per grande/16-oz
- 550 calories – 14 grams sat fat – 78 grams carbs – 71 grams sugar – 9 grams protein per medium/16-oz
- 600 calories – 22 grams sat fat – 73 grams carbs – 65 grams sugar – 5 grams protein per medium/24-oz