We’re Getting the Skinny on Cream Cheese! Incredibly versatile, cream cheese is typically high in saturated fat, and not exactly a “health” food. In today’s Get the Skinny, we’ve got the rundown of the best and worst of popular cream cheese options on shelves.
- Both are plant-based cream cheese alternatives
- Approximately 30% fewer calories than traditional cream cheese with zero animal based saturated fat
- Whipped, 1/3 Less Fat, Neufchatel cheese and Jalepeno Cream Cheese
- Lower-calorie than traditional cream cheese; no wacky ingredients
- Fat free cream cheese – added ingredients that we would never have in our own kitchens
- Flavored, sweetened cream cheese – significant added sugar
- Cream cheese ‘snack packs’ are loaded with white carbs.
- Cream cheese “cheesecake” – loaded with sugary carbs
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! Follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD – and check out her weekly podcast; just search ‘Molly Kimball’ on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app.