Ash Wednesday marks the start of Lent, and whether we’re Catholic or not, many of us give up something for Lent – and that “something” is often alcohol. So here’s the #AlcoholFreeFor40 Challenge: Use this time for a self-experiment to see what’s really happening inside of your body during this detox. And make it easier than ever to stick with your #AlcoholFreeFor40 resolution with Seed’s Avocado Cilantro Mockgarita!
Give up all alcohol from Ash Wednesday until Easter. Establish the following pre-Challenge metrics, and repeat again at the end of the Challenge to see the impact that going alcohol-free has on your body:
- Close-up photo of face; details of eyes and skin in particular
- CBC (Complete Blood Count)
- Liver panel including enzymes AST & ALT
- Lipid Panel (includes triglycerides, which can be affected by alcohol),
- GGT (Gamma glutamyl transferase, a specific liver test that’s most affected by alcohol)
- Vitamin B12 and Folate Panel
- hs-CRP (high-sensitivity C-reactive protein; a marker of inflammation)
- ESR (sedimentation rate; a marker of inflammation
POTENTIAL BENEFITS: Less inflammation, better sleep, less anxiety, improved mood, energy, potential weight loss
- Join the #AlcoholFreeFor40 Facebook Group for inspiration, to follow the journey of others, and to share your own experiences, successes, mocktail recipes, and photos.
- Molly will be offering weekly reminders, tips & recipes via social media (@mollykimballRD) on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, using the hashtag #AlcoholFreeFor40.
- Share your own experiences on social media using the hashtag #AlcoholFreeFor40.
- You can also email Molly (firstname.lastname@example.org) to accept the challenge and keep in touch throughout to let her know how you’re doing. All personal information will be kept confidential.
Eat Fit Avocado-Cilantro Mockgarita by Seed | 1330 Prytania St, NOLA | (504) 302-2599
Makes 1 serving
- 1/4 avocado
- 5 cilantro leaves
- 1/4 lime
- 1/4 lemon
- 1 ounce fresh orange juice
- 1 ounce apple juice
Muddle avocado and cilantro in the bottom of a glass. Squeeze in lemon and lime. Add ice, orange juice, and apple juice. Mix well and serve.
Per serving: 105 calories, 7.5 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 13 mg sodium, 10 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams fiber, 5 grams sugar (0 added sugar), 1 gram protein
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD