Fresh, dried, powdered, juiced or even candied, if you love ginger, you’ll love this: Five science-backed health benefits of this favorite spice, plus how to get more into our diets.
5 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Ginger
1. Anti-inflammatory effects due to gingerol, the main bioactive compound in ginger. Combatting inflammation can help improve muscle pain, soreness, symptoms of osteoarthritis,
2. Effective nausea treatment, including sea sickness, morning sickness, and nausea related to chemo treatments
3. Linked to an improvement in blood sugar control, including fasting blood glucose and HbA1c (a marker of long-term blood glucose control).
4. May improve symptoms of PMS
5. Gingerol can help to lower the risk of infections, inhibiting the growth of certain types of bacteria
Ginger: How to add more into our diets
- Candied Ginger – recipe here
- Ginger Tea: Hot water + ginger
- Grated or pureed for stir-fries, soups, sauces
- Juiced – can freeze into cubes to add to smoothies
- Pickled ginger – look for varieties with less sodium
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Eat Fit Wellness Bites weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO and more! Follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD – and check out her weekly podcast; just search ‘Molly Kimball’ on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app.