Craving sugar is a natural response to stress. Carb-rich and sugary foods, especially when combined with salt and fat, actually stimulate our brains in much the same way that drugs like cocaine and amphetamines do, providing a temporary relief of feelings of anxiety or depression. In fact, even simply reading about certain foods can trigger a response of desire, craving, or even cause your mouth to water – all of which are normal, natural reactions.
To help get you through the potential roller coaster of emotion and anxiety, here are some of our favorite go-to sugar replacers.
Swerve Bake Mixes [gluten free, grain free]
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: 90 calories, 12 grams carbs, 3 grams sugar, 2 grams added sugar
- Vanilla Cake Mix: 90 calories, 16 grams carbs, 1 gram sugar, 0 grams added sugar
- Chocolate Cake Mix: 70 calories, 14 grams carbs, 1 gram sugar, 0 grams added sugar
- Pancake + Waffle Mix: 120 calories, 17 grams carbs, 1 gram sugar, 0 grams added sugar
- 240 calories, 23 grams carbs (5 grams net carbs), 2 grams sugar, 0 grams added sugar
- 110-130 calories, 6-8 grams carbs, 1 gram sugar, 0 added sugar
Halo Top Ice Cream [e.g Birthday Cake Ice Cream]
- Per half-cup: 100 calories, 19 grams carbs, 8 grams sugar, 4 grams added sugar
- Per 2-oz: 90 calories, 0 fat, 33 grams carb (5 net carbs), 28 grams fiber, 3 grams sugar
- 200 calories, 10 grams carbs (1 gram net carb), 0 grams sugar
Boost your own personal ‘Social Distancing” Toolkit:
- Download the Eat Fit Smartphone app for healthy recipes, including zero-proof cocktails, mocktails and Eat Fit dishes, along with brand-specific shopping guides for nutritious food + drink to stock up on.
- Visit www.OchsnerFitness.com for at-home workout videos that will continue to be added over the coming weeks and months.
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, the Eat Fit weekly e-newsletter with links to her FUELED TV segments here on WGNO, and her articles in NOLA.com and Thrive Global! Follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD – and check out her weekly podcast, FUELED Wellness + Nutrition with Molly; just search ‘Molly Kimball’ on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app.