Meatballs are an easy way to add flavor and protein to a meal, and now it’s easier than ever with a variety of frozen meatball options. Molly’s “Love it” picks are lower in sodium, saturated fat and carbs than many standard beef meatballs.
Made with lean animal protein or plant protein; negligible saturated fat and moderate in sodium and carbs.
Beetnik Organic Chicken Meatballs | $8.98 @ Walmart (GF)
- Ingredients Include: Organic Chicken, Water, Organic Gluten Free Bread Crumbs, Sea Salt, Organic Plum Juice Concentrate, Seasonings
- Nutrition Facts per Serving: 4 Meatballs (5 Servings per Container), 100 Calories, 0.5 grams sat fat, 220 mg sodium, 5 grams carbs, 0 fiber, 0 sugar, 15 grams protein
Gardein Classic Meatless Meatballs | $4.79 @ Walmart (Vegan, Dairy Free)
- Ingredients Include: Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Protein Concentrate), Canola Oil, Vital Wheat Gluten, Soy Protein Isolate, White Flour, Methylcellulose, Spices, Organic Cane Sugar, Organic Distilled Vinegar, Natural Flavors, Salt, Cane Sugar, Pea Protein
- Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 3 Meatballs (4 Servings Per Container), 150 Calories, 0.5 g Saturated Fat, 380 mg Sodium, 9g Carbs, 3g Fiber, <1 g Added Sugar, 14g Protein
Made from lean meat but still high in sodium.
Colameco’s Fully Cooked Gluten Free Italian Style Meatballs | $7.99 @ Whole Foods
- Ingredients Include: Turkey, Water, Rice Flour, Romano Cheese, Seasonings
- Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 3 Meatballs (4.5 Servings Per Container), 150 Calories, 2.5g Saturated Fat, 520 mg Sodium, 5g Carbs, 0g Sugars, 15g Protein
Nature’s Rancher Fully Cooked Turkey Meatballs | $6.99 per bag @ Whole Foods
- Ingredients Include: Turkey, Water, Seasoning, Bread Crumbs, White Flour, Spices, Brown Sugar, Romano Cheese, Textured Soy Flour, Ricotta Cheese and Natural Flavor
- Nutrition Facts per serving: 3 meatballs or 85g ( 7 Servings Per Container) 140 Calories, 2.5 g Saturated Fat, 560mg Sodium, 4g Carbs, 1g Fiber, 1g Sugar, 12g Protein
Higher in sodium and saturated fat, contain trans fat, have unnecessary ingredient (caramel coloring), and are lower in protein than the other “Love it” and “Like it” Products.
Nature’s Rancher Fully Cooked Angus Beef Meatballs | $6.99 @ Whole Foods
- Ingredients include Beef, Water, Seasonings, Brown Sugar, Caramel Color, Natural Flavor, Romano Cheese, Textured Soy Flour, and Ricotta Cheese.
- Nutrition Facts per serving (3 Meatballs/Serving 85g and about 7 servings per bag): 220 calories, 17 grams fat, 8 grams saturated fat, 1 g Trans Fat, 4 grams carbohydrate,1 grams fiber, 1 gram sugar, 11 grams protein
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, the Eat Fit weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her articles in Thrive Global! Follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD – and check out her weekly podcast, FUELED Wellness + Nutrition with Molly; just search ‘Molly Kimball’ on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app.