NEW ORLEANS — There’s just no way around it, Halloween is one of the year’s top sugar fests — but it is possible to keep Trick-or-Treaters happy without piling on even more sugar. In today’s Love it, Like it, Hate it, we’ve got the best & worst of Halloween treats, including some that you can actually feel good about.
Popcorn Snack Packs like Angie’s BoomChickaPop Sweet & Salty Kettle Corn
- Per pack: 70 calories – 9 grams carb – 1 gram fiber – 4 grams sugar
- Ingredients: popcorn, sunflower oil, dried cane sugar, sea salt
Apple “Chips” like Bare Snacks | 100% apple, no sugar added
Non-edible treats! Halloween tattoos, bracelets, bubbles, glow-in-the-dark vampire teeth!
Teddy Grahams & Annie’s Bunnies
- Per Pack: 50 calories – 8 grams carb – 1 gram fiber – 3 grams sugar
- Ingredients include: whole wheat flour, wheat (white) flour, sugar, oil
Pepperidge Farm Goldfish “with whole grain”
- Per pack: ~50 cals – 7 grams carb – 0 fiber – 0 sugar
- Ingredients include: whole wheat flour, white flour, cheddar cheese, vegetable oils, salt, sugar…
- Per Pack: ~50 calories – 12 grams carb – 0 fiber – 0 sugar
- First few ingredients: enriched (white) flour, water, salt
Most chocolate candy bars, and pure-sugar candies like Starbursts, Skittles, Candy Corn, Gushers
- Typical ingredients: Sugar, corn syrup, hydrogenated oil, artificial food dyes
“All natural” fruity-sugary candies like Fruit Snacks + “Organic” Gummy Snacks
- Ingredients still typically include include brown rice syrup, cane sugar, gelatin, fruit juice…
Chex Mix Muddy Buddies
- Made with 3 different types of sugar + BHT preservative. Same goes for other “healthier” treats like Rice Krispie Treats, “yogurt” pretzels, etc.
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD