Frozen pizza is fast, easy, and usually pretty cheap – and fortunately, there are actually a few options that are also relatively nutritious, and taste good, too! Today we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on top picks and worst bets when it comes to store-bought frozen pizza!
Three servings per pizza. Per serving: 240 calories, 7 grams fat, 2.5 grams saturated fat, 310 mg sodium, 30 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, 4 grams sugar, 16 grams protein.
- Among the lowest-calorie pizzas
- Crust that’s a (mostly) whole grain blend
- Relatively low in sodium, compared to other frozen pizzas
- Taste-wise, Better 4 U was consistently in the top 30 percent of all pizzas sampled
Three servings per pizza. Per serving: 260 calories, 9 grams fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 630 mg sodium, 29 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, 4 grams sugar, 14 grams protein.
- Crust is a mostly-whole grain blend
Five servings per pizza. Per serving: 450 calories, 29 grams fat, 8 grams saturated fat, 460 mg sodium, 29 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram fiber, 1 gram sugar, 20 grams protein.
- Gluten-free and nut-free (the pesto is made with sunflower seeds)
- Calories are higher, so just a “like it”
- Flourless crust is oilier/doughier, with just tapioca starch, milk, eggs, canola oil, and cheese
Three servings per pizza. Per serving: 260 calories, 13 grams fat, 6 grams saturated fat, 460 mg sodium, 24 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram fiber, 2 grams sugar, 12 grams protein.
- Plenty of real, whole spinach (not just spinach flecks and pieces)
- Sodium is moderate, compared to other brands
- Just 260 calories per serving
- Main drawback: crust is just white flour
Three servings per pizza. Per serving: 350 calories, 19 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 580 mg sodium, 34 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, 5 grams sugar, 8 grams protein.
- Gluten-free, but still mostly just white rice flour
- 4x more white carbs than protein
- Cheese doesn’t melt; crust is really mealy
Four servings per pizza. Per serving: 320 calories, 14 grams fat, 5 grams saturated fat, 730 mg sodium, 37 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams fiber, 8 grams sugar, 13 protein.
- Half a day’s worth of sodium in a single serving
- 3x more white carbs than protein
- Highest sugar content of all of the pizzas we tasted
Each of these pizzas was taste-tested by Molly & the NOLA.com food + dining writers to narrow down the 70+ options on shelves; read the full report here.
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD