Coconut water is no longer considered a specialty health drink, it’s now sold in all types of mainstream stores. And while it deserves much of the press about its health benefits, not all types of coconut water are so pure. Today we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on the best and worst options of coconut water.
- More potassium than a banana: as much as 600 mg potassium per bottle/carton/can
- Benefits of potassium: can help prevent muscle cramping and reduce blood pressure.
- Per 8 ounces unflavored coconut water: ~40-70 calories, ~10 grams carbs, ~10 grams sugar (minimal amounts of protein or fat)
Plain unflavored coconut water – Various brands, including Blue Monkey, Whole Foods 365, Target’s Simply Balanced).
Zico Natural – best brand for electrolyte replenishment, since it has more sodium than most coconut water brands (180 mg sodium per 14 ounces, compared to 35 to 105 mg per 14-ounce serving, for most other brands)
Harmless Harvest 100% Raw Coconut Water with Fair Trade Coffee – Coffee meets coconut water. No added sugar, dairy-free/vegan. 50 mg caffeine per bottle.
- Water, whey protein, coconut water concentrate, artificially sweetened with Sucralose
- Per bottle: 100 calories, 20 grams protein, 5 grams carbs & sugar, 250 mg potassium, 85 mg sodium
Flavored Coconut Water – most are blends of coconut water with fruit juices and fruit purees
– These have more sugar than unflavored coconut water, but at least it’s naturally-occurring fruit sugar
Coconut water with added sugar, like Zico Chocolate Coconut Water, O.N.E. Coconut Water with Mango, and Vita Coco Sport.