There’s a never-ending array of products promising to boost energy and metabolism, ranging from energy shots to pills to drink mixes. And they’re everywhere: supplement stores, health food stores, drug stores, online, even at gas stations and convenience stores. To help you sort through the clutter, we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on 5 supplements that really may able to help boost energy and metabolism.
Always ask the first question: Is it safe?
The Skinny: The vast majority of supplements marketed to help boost energy + metabolism are ineffective. If they are effective, they often contain a combination of multiple stimulants that can impact central nervous system, including symptoms like revved-up heart rate and blood pressure, with potential adverse consequences such as heart attack, seizure, or stroke.
5 safe supplements to boost energy and metabolism:
As always, check with physician, pharmacist, and/or registered dietitian before beginning any supplement regime. Even “safe” supplements can adversely interact with other supplements and/or medications, and may be contraindicated for certain medical conditions.
- Studies have shown that CLA may improve body composition in overweight or obese individuals. In some research, however, CLA doesn’t appear to impact weight or body fat.
- CLA may help to reduce feelings of hunger, and improve satiety and feeling of fullness.
- Taking 2-7 grams CLA daily seems to decrease body fat & increase lean body mass in some individuals.
- Taking 8 grams daily for 16 weeks reduced BMI in obese, postmenopausal women with type 2 diabetes.
- In overweight children aged 6-10 years, taking CLA 3 grams daily for approximately 7 months seems to reduce percent body fat, percent abdominal fat, and percent peripheral fat compared to placebo.
- Added benefit: Taking 4.5 grams CLA daily, along with Altace (hypertension medication), reduced blood pressure more than medication alone.
- Low-stimulant: 18 mg caffeine per serving
- Blend of ingredients that may enhance body’s ability to burn fat, including guarana, garcinia cambogia, and EGCG (from decaf green tea extract).
- Ingredients are low-risk, though research is mixed at best, regarding effectiveness.
- Good-quality multivitamin & mineral, with added boost of 100 mg caffeine per two-capsule serving, along with Green Tea Extract and Capsimax ® Capsicum Seed Extract.
- Addition of caffeine can give energy boost equivalent to one cup of coffee
GNC Pro Performance AMP:
Good-quality, good-potency multivitamin & mineral, plus:
- Green Coffee Bean, Garcinia Cambogia, EGCG (green tea catechins), Capsimax (capsicum) blend
- 4,000 mg CLA
- Natural diuretic, including B6, magnesium, potassium, fennel seed powder, and parsley herb powder
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD