If you feel like you could down a bag of chips right now, you’re not alone. Carb-rich foods like chips, pizza and pasta activate certain receptors in our brains that provide us with a fleeting relief of feelings of anxiety or depression. In fact, even simply reading about these foods can trigger cravings.
To help get you through the next few weeks without throwing in the towel on nutrition, here are some of our favorite go-to trade-outs for chips and other salty, crunchy snacks.
Whisps Cheese Crisps | 100% cheese crisps
- 170 calories, 330 mg sodium, 1 gram carbs, 0 grams fiber, 10 grams protein
Just the Cheese | 100% baked cheese bars
- 150 calories, 300 mg sodium, <1 gram carb, 0 grams fiber, 8 grams protein
- Cauliflower Bites: 190 calories, 1.5 grams sat fat, 240 mg sodium, 9 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 3 grams protein
- Carrot Sticks: 140 calories, 0 sat fat, 115 mg sodium, 29 grams carbs, 11 grams fiber, 3 grams protein
- 130 calories, 250 mg sodium, 13 grams carbs, <1 grams fiber, 6 grams protein
- 170 calories, 320 mg sodium, 15 grams carbs, <1 grams fiber, 15 grams protein
- 140 calories, 330 mg sodium, 5 grams carbs, 1 gram fiber, 19 grams protein
Boost your own personal ‘Social Distancing” Toolkit:
- Download the Eat Fit Smartphone app for healthy recipes, including zero-proof cocktails, mocktails and Eat Fit dishes, along with brand-specific shopping guides for nutritious food + drink to stock up on.
- Visit www.OchsnerFitness.com for at-home workout videos that will continue to be added over the coming weeks and months.
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, the Eat Fit weekly e-newsletter with links to her FUELED TV segments here on WGNO, and her articles in NOLA.com and Thrive Global! Follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD – and check out her weekly podcast, FUELED Wellness + Nutrition with Molly; just search ‘Molly Kimball’ on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favorite podcast app.