NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — Toaster waffles can make breakfast on the run a bit easier – and fun. The challenge is to find a variety that gives us a boost of fiber-rich grains and protein to start our day. The reality is that most toaster waffles aren’t ideal – even most ‘whole grain’ versions are actually a blend of white and whole grain flours.
Here’s a rundown of three better-for-you toaster waffles currently on shelves; the lineup below is listed in order of Molly’s preference, nutritionally speaking.
- Per 2 waffles: 220 calories, 150 mg sodium, 21 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 10 grams protein
- Ingredients include chickpeas, cocoa butter, protein blend (egg white, pea protein), avocado oil
- Banza Protein Waffle varieties include Homestyle, Blueberry and Chocolate Chip Protein Waffles
- Per 2 waffles: 240 calories, 270 mg sodium, 24 grams carbs, 1 gram fiber, 12 grams protein
- Ingredients include white flour, whey protein, whole oat flour, eggs, yogurt solids
- Birch Benders also offers Keto Toaster Waffles, Chocolate Chip Keto, Grain-Free Paleo and Blueberry Paleo Toaster Waffles
- Per 2 waffles: 200 calories, 170 mg sodium, 27 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 10 grams protein
- Ingredients include white flour, grain blend (whole wheat flour, wheat, oats, millet, rice), wheat protein isolate
- Vans Protein Waffle varieties include Original, Blueberry and Chocolate Chip Protein Waffles
FUELED Wellness + Nutrition is powered by Healthy Portions Meal Co. Learn more about the variety of Eat Fit options at Healthy Portions Meal Co, proud sponsor of FUELED Wellness + Nutrition with Molly on WGNO.
Molly Kimball, RD, CSSD is a registered dietitian + nutrition journalist in New Orleans, and founder of Ochsner Eat Fit nonprofit restaurant initiative. Tune in to her podcast, FUELED | Wellness + Nutrition and follow her on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @MollyKimballRD. See more of Molly’s articles + TV segments at www.mollykimball.com, and sign up for Eat Fit Wellness Bites weekly newsletter, here.