NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — There’s so much that’s just so right about freshly-baked brownies, it’s an instant feel-good attitude adjuster. For years, though, if we wanted to make good-for-you brownies, we had to do it completely from scratch – there were no box mixes on shelves that were even close to being nutritious.
Times have changed, y’all. In today’s episode of FUELED, we’re showcasing three good-for-you brownie mixes that you can find on shelves right now. All are low carb, gluten-free, and made with no artificial sweeteners or colors.
Don’t worry, we’ve done the hard work for you – the taste testing and feedback – along with the support of our Eat Fit intern Grace Mobley. And a huge thank-you to Grace for baking and styling this segment, too.
All of the following brownie mixes are gluten-free and grain-free with no added sugar, and labeled as keto, or keto-friendly as well.
Swerve Brownie Mix | most streamlined ingredient list
- Deep rich chocolate flavor and color; super moist texture. The least sweet of the three, but still very much satisfyingly sweet.
- Ingredients include: blanched almond flour, erythritol, cocoa powder, tapioca starch, allulose, organic coconut flour, sea salt
- Per brownie (1/16 of package): 140 calories, 4 grams net carbs, 2 grams fiber
Birch Benders Ultimate Fudge Brownie Mix | sweetest of the three
- Slightest aftertaste and grittiness from the erythritol; still very much a crowd-pleaser
- Ingredients include: erythritol, almond flour, organic coconut flour, cocoa powder, cassava starch, vegetable fiber, salt, stevia, monkfruit
- Per brownie (1/14 of package): 110 calories, 2 grams net carbs, 3 grams fiber
Duncan Hines Keto Friendly Chewy Fudge Brownie Mix | most like traditional brownie box mixes
- Slightly more cakelike than the other two, less dense, with delicious fudge-y richness and flavor. E
- Ingredients include: erythritol, almond flour, allulose, coconut flour, cocoa powder, chicory root fiber, unsweetened chocolate, resistant starch, cocoa butter, xanthan gum, stevia…
- Per brownie (1/12 of package): 170 calories, 2 grams net carbs, 5 grams fiber
FUELED Wellness + Nutrition is powered by Healthy Portions Meal Co. Learn more about the variety of Eat Fit options at Healthy Portions Meal Co, proud sponsor of FUELED Wellness + Nutrition with Molly on WGNO.
Molly Kimball, RD, CSSD is a registered dietitian + nutrition journalist in New Orleans, and founder of Ochsner Eat Fit nonprofit restaurant initiative. Tune in to her podcast, FUELED | Wellness + Nutrition and follow her on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @MollyKimballRD. See more of Molly’s articles + TV segments at www.mollykimball.com, and sign up for Eat Fit Wellness Bites weekly newsletter, here.
- Lawmakers are trying these three plans to fund the government
- The Memo: Worried Democrats fret Trump is more electable than believed
- Pratt breaks Tulane’s passing touchdown record in 36-7 victory over Nicholls
- Daniels’ 4 TD passes, Ramos’ late kick lift No. 12 LSU over Arkansas, 34-31
- Unseasonably warm with low rain chances next couple of days