NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — Sweet treats that help to satisfy a chocolate craving and keep glucose levels in check? Yes, please! Tune in for three of Molly’s favorite finds, plus the results of an (informal) assessment of how each appears to influence glucose levels.
Three Chocolate Finds to Try:
Lily’s Chocolate [gluten + grain free] |two grams net carbs per serving
- Varieties include milk or dark chocolate, and varieties such as peanut butter filled, and salted caramel
- Ingredients include unsweetened chocolate, inulin, erythritol, cocoa butter, stevia
- Per serving (approx. 1/3 bar): 130 calories, 11 grams fat, 17 grams carbohydrate(2 grams net carbs), 10 grams fiber, <1 gram sugar, 2 grams protein
Quest Peanut Butter Cups [gluten + grain free] | one gram net carbs per two-cup serving
- Ingredients include whey protein, erythritol, unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter, peanuts, palm kernel oil
- Per PB cup: 100 calories, 7.5 grams fat, 6.5 grams carbohydrate (<1 gram net carbs), 2 grams fiber, 0 sugar, 5.5 grams protein
HighKey Cookies [gluten + grain free] | one gram net carb per serving
- Ingredients include almond flour, erythritol, coconut oil, butter, unsweetened chocolate, eggs, stevia, monkfruit
- Per serving (7 mini cookies): 130 calories, 12 grams fat, 12 grams carbohydrate (1 gram net carb), 0 sugar, 3 grams protein
Please note that this was a very small and anecdotal assessment via continuous glucose monitor. To understand what is best for you, please check with your physician and/or registered dietitian for personalized nutritional guidance.
FUELED Wellness + Nutrition is powered by Healthy Portions Meal Co. Learn more about the variety of Eat Fit options at Healthy Portions Meal Co, proud sponsor of FUELED Wellness + Nutrition with Molly on WGNO.
Molly Kimball, RD, CSSD is a registered dietitian + nutrition journalist in New Orleans, and founder of Ochsner Eat Fit nonprofit restaurant initiative. Tune in to her podcast, FUELED | Wellness + Nutrition and follow her on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @MollyKimballRD. See more of Molly’s articles + TV segments at www.mollykimball.com, and sign up for Eat Fit Wellness Bites weekly newsletter, here.