NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — Toaster waffles can be a part of a better-for-you breakfast on the run – the key is to find a variety that packs in fiber-rich whole grains – and an extra boost of protein, if possible. The reality is that most toaster waffles aren’t ideal – even most ‘whole grain’ versions are actually a blend of white and whole grain flours.
Here’s a rundown of best picks currently on shelves; the lineup below is listed in order of Molly’s preference, nutritionally speaking.
TOP PICK: Birch Benders Keto Carb-Friendly Toaster Waffles | GF, grain free, no added sugar, vegetarian
- Per 2 waffles: 230 calories, 190 mg sodium, 6 grams net carbs, 12 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar (0 added sugar), 8 grams protein
- Ingredients include tapioca fiber, sunflower oil, almond flour, eggs, organic coconut flour, pea starch, tigernut flour, whey protein concentrate, egg whites, yogurt
3 RUNNERS UP:
- Per 2 waffles: 220 calories, 340 mg sodium, 23 grams net carbs, 3 grams fiber, 5 grams sugar (4 grams added sugar), 12 grams protein
- Ingredients include whole wheat flour, white flour, canola oil, cane sugar, wheat protein isolate, whey protein isolate whey protein concentrate, eggs
Van’s Blueberry Protein Waffles | dairy free, egg free
- Per 2 waffles: 250 calories, 190 mg sodium, 31 grams net carbs, 3 grams fiber, 7 grams sugar (6 added sugar), 10 grams protein
- Ingredients include white flour, Van’s Power Grains Mix (whole wheat flour, cracked red wheat, steel cut oats, millet, brown rice), canola oil, wheat protein isolate, cane sugar, blueberries
Trader Joe’s Multigrain Waffles
- Per 2 waffles: 240 calories, 390 mg sodium, 31 grams net carbs, 3 grams fiber, 7 grams sugar (5 grams added sugar), 6 grams protein
- Ingredients include whole wheat flour, white flour, vegetable oil, cane sugar, multigrain blend (barley flour, brown rice flour, corn flour, oat bran, rye flour), whey powder, egg white, wheat bran, honey
FUELED Wellness + Nutrition is powered by Smoothie King. Learn about Eat Fit at Smoothie King; click here for the full list of Eat Fit options available at Smoothie King, proud sponsor of FUELED Wellness + Nutrition with Molly on WGNO.
Molly Kimball, RD, CSSD is a registered dietitian + nutrition journalist in New Orleans, and founder of Ochsner Eat Fit nonprofit restaurant initiative. Tune in to her podcast, FUELED | Wellness + Nutrition and follow her on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @MollyKimballRD. See more of Molly’s articles + TV segments at www.mollykimball.com, and sign up for Eat Fit Wellness Bites weekly newsletter, here.
Stay updated with the latest breaking news, weather, and sports! Download the WGNO News App and subscribe to our daily headlines newsletter.