NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — It’s no secret that many – if not most – coffee shop blended drinks are more dessert than actual coffee. It may come as a surprise, however, just how sugary these blends can be. A ‘medium’ 16-ounce blend can easily pack in more than 60 grams of sugar – that’s three days’ worth of added sugar.
In today’s FUELED Wellness + Nutrition, Molly shares four nutritious-yet-still-delicious frozen blended coffee solutions that are rich in protein and low or no added sugar.
Note: Smoothie King Nutrition Facts for 20 ounce Smoothie
Smoothie King frozen blended coffee-style smoothies:
- 220 calories, 23 grams carbs, 2 grams fiber, 15 grams sugar (0 added sugar), 29 grams protein
- Cold Brew Coffee, Gladiator® Protein Chocolate, Protein Blend, Bananas, Coconut Water, Nonfat Milk
- 430 calories, 19 grams carbs, 6 grams fiber, 1 gram sugar (0 added sugar), 23 grams protein
- Wild Blueberries, Raspberries, Keto Protein Blend, Almond Butter, 100% Cocoa, Califia Farms® Almond Milk
SK’s new Vegan Coffee Mocha launches next week, made with choice of cold brew or espresso, Sunwarrior ® organic plant-based protein, bananas, dates, Califia Farms ® oat milk and 100% cocoa.
Also starting next week (August 30th), Smoothie King will offer the choice of cold brew or espresso for all coffee smoothies.
- Cold brew has a milder, smoother flavor with 83 mg caffeine per 20-ounce smoothie
- Espresso has a stronger robust coffee flavor with 159 mg caffeine per 20-ounce smoothie
FUELED Wellness + Nutrition is powered by Smoothie King. Learn about Eat Fit at Smoothie King; click here for the full list of Eat Fit options available at Smoothie King, proud sponsor of FUELED Wellness + Nutrition with Molly on WGNO.
Molly Kimball, RD, CSSD is a registered dietitian + nutrition journalist in New Orleans, and founder of Ochsner Eat Fit nonprofit restaurant initiative. Tune in to her podcast, FUELED | Wellness + Nutrition and follow her on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @MollyKimballRD. See more of Molly’s articles + TV segments at www.mollykimball.com, and sign up for Eat Fit Wellness Bites weekly newsletter, here.
Stay updated with the latest breaking news, weather, and sports! Download the WGNO News App and subscribe to our daily headlines newsletter.