NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — Protein bars are convenient and portable, an easy option for a snack or even a meal in a pinch. There’s been an explosion of new varieties on shelves, but not all are as nutritious as they appear.
Here’s the rundown of Molly’s top five picks – all are good sources of protein with zero or low added sugar and no artificial sweeteners or colors.
The 411 on PROTEIN BAR LABELS:
- Protein: 20 grams protein is equivalent to 3 ounces lean meat; 7 grams is approximately one egg worth of protein
- Sugar: Look for bars as close to zero added sugar as possible, and with more protein than sugar.
- Artificial sweeteners: Avoid artificial sweeteners like sucralose and acesulfame potassium
- Fiber: Usually less important, as many are “isolated” fibers without the full benefits of real, whole-food fiber
CanDo Keto Krisp bar |GF; Dairy Free options available
- 190 calories, 16 grams carbohydrate (4 grams net carbs), 9 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar (0 added sugar), 11 grams protein
- Made with almonds, chicory root fiber, soy protein, almond protein, sweetened with erythritol and/or stevia
Love Good Fats bar | GF, Soy Free, no sugar alcohols
- 190 calories, 14 grams carbohydrate (5 grams net carbs), 9 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar (2 grams added sugar), 7 grams protein
- Made with Fats blend (almond butter, palm and coconut oil), whole grain brown rice protein, semi-sweet chocolate chips, soluble corn fiber, chicory root fiber.
NuGo Slim bar | GF; Vegan options available
- 180 calories, 17 grams carbohydrate (9 grams net carbs), 6 grams fiber, 3 gram sugar (3 grams added sugar), 16 grams protein
- Made with protein blend (soy and rice protein), dark chocolate, inulin (vegetable fiber), sweetened with small amount of cane sugar
Bulletproof Collagen Protein bar | GF, Dairy Free
- 190 calories, 12 grams carbohydrate (4 grams net carbs), 8 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar (0 added sugar), 11 grams protein
- Made with cashew butter, hydrolyzed collagen, inulin, MCT oil powder, sweetened with stevia
No Cow bar [dipped or regular] | GF, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Vegan
- 200 calories, 25 grams carbohydrate (4 grams net carbs), 15 grams fiber, 1 gram sugar (0 added sugar), 21 grams protein
- Made with vegan protein blend (brown rice, pea protein), soluble corn fiber, sweetened with erythritol, stevia, monk fruit.
FUELED Wellness + Nutrition is powered by Smoothie King. Learn about Eat Fit at Smoothie King; click here for the full list of Eat Fit options available at Smoothie King, proud sponsor of FUELED Wellness + Nutrition with Molly on WGNO.
Molly Kimball, RD, CSSD is a registered dietitian + nutrition journalist in New Orleans, and founder of Ochsner Eat Fit nonprofit restaurant initiative. Tune in to her podcast, FUELED | Wellness + Nutrition and follow her on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @MollyKimballRD. See more of Molly’s articles + TV segments at www.mollykimball.com, and sign up for Eat Fit Wellness Bites weekly newsletter, here.
Stay updated with the latest breaking news, weather, and sports! Download the WGNO News App and subscribe to our daily headlines newsletter.