Wing sauce and buffalo sauce are delicious ways to spicy up plain old chicken or shrimp, but some can pack in half a day’s worth of sodium into just a couple of spoonfuls! In today’s Love it, Like it, Hate it, we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on the best and worst bottled hot wing sauce.
- Per tablespoon: 75 calories – 90 mg sodium – 0 carbs (0 sugar)
- Ingredients include: Canola oil, chili peppers, vinegar, chickpeas, lemon juice, spices, sea salt, xanthan gum
- Per tablespoon: 10 calories – 150 mg sodium – 2 grams carbs (1 gram sugar)
- Ingredients include: Aged red peppers, vinegar, corn syrup, modified food starch, spices, salt, xanthan gum
- Per tablespoon: 10 calories – 170 mg sodium – 2 grams carb (less than 1 gram added sugar)
- Ingredients include: Distilled vinegar, tomato puree, sugar, spices, red pepper past, guar and xanthan gums
- Per tablespoon: 20 calories, 390 mg sodium, 1 gram carb (0 sugar)
- Ingredients include: Cayenne pepper, vinegar, salt, hydrogenated soybean oil, propylene glycol alginate (emulsifier; can cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals), xanthan gum
- Per tablespoon: 10 calories – 500 mg sodium – 1 gram carbs (sugar not listed)
- Ingredients include: red peppers, vinegar, salt, soybean oil, sugar, xanthan gum, polysorbate 80, datem
- Polysorbate 80 is an emulsifier that’s generally considered safe, but some research has linked to negative effects like anaphylactic reactions, and disrupted gastrointestinal microflora.
- DATEM is an acronym that stands for Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Monoglycerides, an ingredient “generally regarded as safe” but with very little published research in peer-reviewed journals.
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD