Freeze plan for the homeless activated
NEW ORLEANS – It’s time to bundle up Monday night.
Plunging temperatures have triggered the activation of the city’s freeze plan.
The National Weather Service predicts that temperatures, factoring in wind chill, will drop below the threshold of 35 degrees Fahrenheit for more than four hours overnight Monday, December 10th, prompting safety precautions.
Temporary overnight shelter will be provided for homeless residents.
The public is asked to call the New Orleans Police Department’s non-emergency number, (504) 821-2222, to report someone in need of shelter.
Individuals needing shelter will be accepted, free of charge, at the following locations under the following conditions:
- Low Barrier Shelter,1530 Gravier St., will accept adults beginning at 8 p.m.
- The Salvation Army, 4530 S. Claiborne Ave., will accept men and women beginning at 4 p.m.
- Ozanam Inn, 843 Camp St., will accept men beginning at 4 p.m.
- Covenant House, 611 N. Rampart St.,will accept anyone between the ages of 16 to 21, their dependent children, and any women with dependent minor children. Open 24/7.
- New Orleans Mission, 1130 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd., will accept men and women beginning at 4 p.m.