NEW ORLEANS -- It's the second weekend of Jazz Fest, but there's plenty more to do around the area if you aren't heading to the Fairgrounds.
Here are our picks for weekend events:
- Cinco De Mayo: The Velvet Cactus in Lakeview is putting on a fiesta like no other. The fun starts at 11 a.m. with drink specials and goes until at least 11 p.m. Starting at 4, there's live music featuring Da Hounds, a DJ from 6-7, then Where Y'acht takes the stage from 7 p.m. until 11 p.m. The event is free before 5 p.m. and $5 after 5 p.m.
- Jammin' on Julia: If you're ready to see some great artwork, then head on down to the Warehouse District Saturday night for Jammin' on Julia. Sixteen galleries and two museums will be open to the public, as well as live music performances and plenty of food trucks. Proceeds will benefit the nonprofit Arts District New Orleans.
- Tricentennial Fireworks! To continue the spirit of celebration for New Orleans’ Tricentennial, fireworks will light up the sky at 9 p.m. at the riverfront at Woldenberg Park.
- Disney on Ice: Gather up the kids for this one because "Disney on Ice" is here in New Orleans this weekend. Disney on Ice: Dare to Dream is at the UNO Lakefront Arena from Friday-Sunday. Click here for more info.
- "Little Shop of Horrors" at Rivertown: Feed the need for musical hilarity with this sci-fi smash about a man-eating plant. The Broadway hit has multiple performances at the Rivertown Theaters for the Performing Arts. Click here for more info.