We know that a hefty dose of creamy salad dressing is the quickest way to sabotage a healthy salad, and Caesar salad dressing is among the worst in terms of calories AND sodium. But more and more brands are giving us lighter options – and of course some are better than others, so in today’s Love it, Like it, Hate it segment, we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on the best & worst Caesar salad dressing options in stores.
Each of the “Love It” Caesar dressings all natural, with ingredients we could have in our kitchens, relatively low in calories/sodium, no added sugar, and less than 250 mg sodium.
- Per 2 tablespoons: 20 calories – 0 fat – 20 mg sodium – 3 grams carb – 0 sugar
- Ingredients include Non-GMO Silken Soy Sauce, white wine vinegar, dried yeast, lemon juice, crushed garlic, dijon mustard, hot sauce, xanthan gum
Recipe below + Available locally at 3 Green to Go locations
- Per 2 tablespoons: 140 calories – 15 grams fat – 250 mg sodium – 1 gram carb – 0 sugar
- Ingredients are all ingredients we could in our kitchen: olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon, vinegar, spices
Organic Girl Caesar Rules!
- Per 2 tablespoons: 110 calories – 12 grams fat- 230 mg sodium – 1 gram carb – 0 sugar
- Ingredients are all ingredients we could have on-hand: lemon juice, mayo, organic parmesan, organic GF Worcestershire, organic olive and canola oil, sharp white cheddar, Dijon, GF tamari, seasonings.
Each of the “Like it” Caesar dressings are all-natural, no added sugar, & less than 350 mg sodium per ounce
Newman’s Own Creamy Caesar
- Per 2 tablespoons: 170 calories – 18 grams fat – 340 mg sodium – 1 gram carb – 0 sugar
- Ingredients are all ingredients we could have on-hand: soybean and/or canola oil, egg yolks, olive oil, salt, parmesan, Worcestershire, xanthan gum, spices and seasonings
All are low in carbs but can also be high in sodium; all contain not-so-wholesome ingredients that we wouldn’t have in our kitchen.
Kraft Classic Caesar
- Per 2 tablespoons: 110 calories – 12 grams fat – 320 mg sodium – 2 grams carb – 1 gram sugar
- Ingredients include disodium phosphate, flavor enhancers disodium inosinate and guanylate, calcium disodium EDTA to protect flavor.
Kens Creamy Caesar
- Per 2 tablespoons: 170 calories – 19 grams fat – 260 mg sodium – 1 gram carb – 1 gram sugar
- Ingredients include preservatives sodium benzoate (may cause allergic reaction in sensitive individuals) and potassium sorbate, titanium dioxide (whitens, brightens, maintains color), propylene glycol alginate (emulsifier; can cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals), caramel color.
Ken’s Light Caesar
- Per 2 tablespoons: 70 calories – 7 grams fat – 610 mg sodium – 3 grams carb – 2 grams sugar
- Ingredients include propylene glycol alginate (emulsifier; can cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals) and preservatives sodium benzoate (also may cause allergic reaction) and potassium sorbate
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt, vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, black pepper and whisk. Store in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 10 days.
- Downtown @ 400 Poydras St.
- Inside the JCC @ 5324 St. Charles Avenue + Jefferson Ave
- Across from Ochsner Baptist @ 2633 Napoleon Ave.
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD