Rotisserie chicken is an easy pick-up at your local store – but if we have leftovers, it often goes to waste. Today we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on tips to help use every last bit of your rotisserie chicken, plus 3 nutritious, delicious recipes that are also Eat Fit NOLA-approved!
What to do with leftover chicken?
- Freeze in portioned-out amounts for later recipes (e.g. 1 cup, 6 ounces, etc)
- Add to salad
- Dips or chicken salad – made creamy with Greek yogurt in place of mayo
- “Noodle” dishes with spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, shirataki noodles, etc.
- Make a stock with the bones
3 Eat Fit NOLA-approved recipes | No white carbs, no added sugar, low in sodium:
Low Carb Rotisserie “Jambalaya”
Makes 8 side dish servings (4 entrée-sized serving)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium heads of cauliflower
- 1 cup leftover rotisserie chicken, shredded
In medium pot, sauté onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic in oil for 4 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, broth, black pepper, paprika, and bay leaf. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Cut cauliflower into florets and briefly pulse in food processor until size of rice. Cook cauliflower over medium heat in oil until slightly tender. Add to seasoned broth. Add chicken, and mix until well-combined.
Per Serving (8 servings per recipe): 110 Calories, 5 grams fat, 0 saturated fat, 65 mg sodium, 10 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, 4 grams sugar, 8 grams protein.
Adapted from kirbiecravings.com
Rotisserie TexMex Soup
Makes 2 servings
- 2 cups chicken stock, low sodium
- 1/4 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Swerve Sweetener
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, skinless\
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans, low sodium
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 avocado, sliced
Combine stock and enchilada sauce in large pot, bring to boil over medium heat. Stir in black pepper and Swerve, bring back to boil. Add chicken, black beans, tomatoes, kale, and lime juice. Cook until bubbling.
To plate, ladle soup into bowls, garnish with sliced avocado
Per serving: 380 calories, 18 grams fat, 2.5 grams saturated fat, 380 mg sodium, 31 grams carbohydrates, 14 grams fiber, 4 grams sugar, 27 grams protein
Adapted from Noble pig.com
Asian Rotisserie Chicken Salad
Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 cup coleslaw mix
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon Swerve Sweetener
Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix until well-incorporated.
Per serving: 260 calories, 10 gram fat, 1.5 gram saturated fat, 490 mg sodium, 17 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams fiber, 8 grams sugar, 28 grams protein
Adapted from www.lindawagner.net
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD