Scroll through Instagram and you’ll see tons of mouthwatering food photos – some are nutritious, others, not so much! In today’s Get the Skinny, Molly shares 3 Instagram trends that are nutritious, delicious, and worth incorporating into your own diet (and Instagram feed!)
Full recipes below
Avocado Toast | Classic Avocado Toast with a Sunny Side up Egg
- Fiber-rich carbs from whole grain toast & avocado (1/4 avocado has 2-3 grams fiber)
- Protein from the egg & whole grain toast
- Body-friendly fats from avocado
- Choline from egg yolk = essential for metabolism & brain power
- Per serving: 210 Calories, 13 grams Fat, 2.5 grams Saturated Fat, 170 mg Sodium, 17 grams Carbohydrates, 7 grams fiber, 3 grams sugar, 10 grams protein.
Smoothie Bowls | Mango Banana Smoothie Bowl with Kiwi, Blackberries, Strawberries & Pistachios
- Play with your food! Blend vanilla protein powder with frozen mango, banana, and almond milk. Make it insta worthy by topping it with your favorite sliced fruits, nuts, or seeds.
- Protein from protein powder (can also add Greek yogurt)
- Fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants from fruits
- No added sugar
- Per serving: 230 Calories, 4 grams Fat, 0 Saturated Fat, 50 mg Sodium, 36 grams Carbohydrates, 6 grams fiber, 18 grams sugar, 19 grams protein.
Rainbow Bright Flatbread
- Fun dish for kids: Decorate whole grain pizza crust or naan with rainbow of vegetables
- Add protein with shrimp or chicken in marinara sauce or with seasoning & paprika for color
- Per serving: 130 Calories, 6 grams Fat, 1 gram Saturated Fat, 180 mg Sodium, 10 grams Carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar, 8 grams protein.
RECIPES by Lauren Hassan, Tulane Dietetic Intern with Ochsner Fitness Center | graduate of Johnson & Wales College of Culinary Arts
Classic Avocado Toast with a Sunny Side Up Egg
Makes 1 Serving
- 1 slice thin whole wheat bread such as Dave’s Killer Whole Grain Bread
- 1 egg
- ¼ avocado
- 2 slices jalapeno
- 2 sprigs cilantro
Toast bread. Spray a pan over medium heat with pan spray, cook egg sunny side up. Slice avocado and place on toast, top with sunny side up egg, jalapeno, and cilantro.
Per serving: 210 Calories, 13 grams Fat, 2.5 grams Saturated Fat, 170 mg Sodium, 17 grams Carbohydrates, 7 grams fiber, 3 grams sugar, 10 grams protein.
Mango Banana Smoothie bowl topped with Sliced Kiwi, Blackberries, Strawberries, and Pistachios
Makes 1 Serving
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- ¼ cup frozen banana
- ¼ cup frozen mango
- 3 slices kiwi
- 1 sliced strawberry
- 3 blackberries
- 8 pistachios
Combine protein powder, banana, and mango in a blender, blend until smooth adding water as needed to create a thick consistency. Place mixture in a bowl and top with remaining ingredients.
Per serving: 230 Calories, 4 grams Fat, 0 Saturated Fat, 50 mg Sodium, 36 grams Carbohydrates, 6 grams fiber, 18 grams sugar, 19 grams protein.
Makes 5 Servings
- 1 whole wheat naan bread
- ¼ cup marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of chopped basil
- 4 ounces of grilled or baked skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup thinly sliced roasted golden beets
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red bell peppers
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup thinly sliced asparagus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place nann on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover with marinara sauce, cheese, and basil.
Arrange remaining ingredients on top, you may choose to arrange lines of each ingredient to make a color gradient, or randomly scatter the ingredients. Bake until naan is crisp and vegetables are thoroughly cooked, about 15 minutes.
Per serving: 130 Calories, 6 grams Fat, 1 gram Saturated Fat, 180 mg Sodium, 10 grams Carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar, 8 grams protein.
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD